We work so hard to have it all: a beautiful home, a loving partner, a successful job and more. But what happens when these successes don’t equal happiness in our lives and we’re left feeling unfulfilled, unsatisfied and unhappy? How do we get onto the road that leads to happiness? And what are we looking for?
Here are 5 Things you can do the give yourself permission to be happy be sure ti take the happiness quiz
- Gratitude: True Happiness isn’t about having what you want, but wanting what you ALREADY have. We often long for better friends, a better relationship, a better job, a sexier body, we focus so much on what is missing and what is right in front of us get overlooked. We train ourselves to look at what is wrong in our lives and miss what truly is. Zoom things to be grateful for and be happy you have them.
- Forgive: Commit to putting your forgiveness into words. You can do this either in a letter to the person you’re forgiving or in your journal. Finally, try to hold on to the forgiveness. Don’t dwell on your anger, hurt, and desire for vengeance.
- Watch the Company You Keep. Oprah once said “Surround yourself only with people who will lift you higher” and this is a mantra I hold by. The people you surround yourself with definitely have an impact on you. Spend more time with positive, optimistic people and weed out the negative ones, ensure the ones remaining are those who see the good in you and encourage you to be your best self.
- Look for the Lessons; We often cannot choose what happens to us, but we can choose how we react to what happens .All of us have times of stress, loss, failure or trauma in our lives. How we respond to these events has a big impact on our wellbeing. In practice it’s not always easy, but one of the most exciting findings from recent research is that resilience, like many other life skills, can be learned.
- Don’t Rely On Other People to Make You Happy. Often times w
e feel unhappy because you expect other people to give us things that you can only give yourself. Relying on others to make you happy will only lead to disappointment. You will never be truly satisfied if you continually outsource the task of finding happiness, you will constantly find yourself at mercy of everyone you meet. It is time to
take control of the steering wheel, put your self in the divers seat and start accepting responsibility for your own happiness and sense of self-worth. Only you can control how happy you are and how you feel about yourself.