No one will ever take care of you as well as you can take care of yourself. And, you’re never sure how long someone is going to stay in your life. Learn how to take good care of yourself, and you’ll always be well taken care of!
We’re often concerned with how well we’re taking care of others, but it’s important to give yourself the attention you need, too.
Tips for daily self-care
- Unplug for at least an hour each day. Give your mind a break from the digital world each day. Turn off your phone. Close your laptop. Turn off the TV. Go for a walk, read a book, meditate, or talk to a real, live person. You’ll be glad you did.
- Do a puzzle. Work your brain a little bit. It could be a jigsaw puzzle, crossword, Sudoku, or whatever mental challenge appeals to you. Put your brain to work and test its problem-solving abilities. It’s a great break to your busy day and a great workout for your brain.
- Eat mindfully. Pay attention while you’re eating. Put your phone away. Avoid reading or watching TV. Just eat while you’re having a meal. Keep your attention on the process. You’ll eat less and eat better food. It’s easy to eat a lot of junk while you’re distracted by something else.
- Spend time with someone that loves you. There’s nothing better for your heart and soul than spending time with those that adore you. They say nice things to you. They’re encouraging. The experience is relaxing and makes you happy.
- The older you get, the less flexibility you possess. Stretching feels good and is good for you. If you’re watching TV, sit on the floor and spend the time stretching.
- Compliment yourself. Imagine you were your best friend. What types of compliments would you give yourself? Spend a few minutes looking at yourself in the mirror and let the compliments fly. It’s a little awkward at first, but you’ll enjoy the results.
- Ask for help. You’re worthy of receiving help from others. You’ll find life is easier when you get a little help, too. In return, others will ask you for help. Your self-esteem gets a boost when you help others. You’ll even make a few friends in the process or strengthen existing relationships.
- Eat a healthy diet. You’re not taking good care of yourself if you don’t follow a healthy eating strategy.
- Go to bed early. This is great for every part of your being. Most of us fail to get enough sleep. How early is early? Early is early enough that you’re not tired when it’s time to get up.
- Take a bath at least once a week. Showers save time and water. However, there’s something unique about a bath. Stretch out and soak for at least 30 minutes. You might turn out the light or read a book. You can close your eyes and just relax. Give yourself this luxury at least once a week.
- Move your body daily. Humans are meant to move. Unfortunately, most of us barely move more than it takes to walk to our cars and back. Use your body each day, even if it’s a simple as taking a nice walk.
People who are busy and stressed are often lacking in self-care. It’s important to pay attention to your needs and to recognize your limits. Good self-care practices can reduce burnout and stress levels. Keep your energy levels high and rejuvenate yourself each day by looking after yourself effectively.